Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Welcome Beyond: Beach + Jungle

The irony of me having a hotel blog is that I dislike 99% of all hotels. When I scour through the lists of "the world's best hotels," I tend to feel numb and disinterested. Should I be excited about the newly opened Shangri-la in Sydney? It's another office building hotel that looks just like every other nice-enough, high-rise hotel. Fancysterile rooms with an airplane-like hum and 8 bajillion TV stations.

This is why I freaked out when I discovered the exceptionally curated boutique hotel web portal, Welcome Beyond. Started by two Berlin-based brothers, they state on the website that their mission is to, "Hand-pick places that we feel are truly original. Many reflect their owners’ passion for distinctive architecture and design. Some border on quirky (and may have crossed over the line). Several are quite posh. And a few are downright rustic. But what all of our properties have in common is that they’re exclusive – in the best sense of the word. Each is singular, memorable and definitely worth writing home about."

I've highlighted some of my favorites on their site. Note that not all of the hotels they feature are huts, tree houses, and yurts. That's just me.

So as not to overwhelm, here are my favorite beach and jungle locations. I'll put the tents and yurts into a separate post.

Uxua Casa Hotel in Bahia, Brazil



Elsewhere... in Goa, India


Chole Mjini in Mafia Island, Tanzania




Canopy Tower in Greater Panama City, Panama



Villas de Trancoso in Bahia, Brazil

All photos from Welcome Beyond

Stay tuned for tents and yurts!

No comments:

Post a Comment