Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Backyard

Without question, one of the most important elements to a perfect L.A. hotel experience is the outdoor space.

My hotel will have 6 to 20 rooms, which I suppose is somewhere between an inn and boutique hotel. I don't really know the difference, so as to avoid awkwardness, I shall classify my place as an hotelito, inspired by this little place.

When I saw this insane Griffith Park-adjacent residence for sale on redfin (for a small $5m buckaroos), I couldn't help but freak out about that backyard. Imagine how spectacular it could be if transformed into a public space.



I have about a million ideas of how to make an outdoor space something magical. In the summertime, there must be a fire pit and live music. I really think there are only a few things in the world more special than sitting outside around a fire listening to music with friends. When everything is just right, a collective feeling of wistfulness settles in.

This scene from Almodovar's film, Talk to Her, is one of my favorite movie moments of all time. I wish this could be in my life regularly. (Except for the crying part.)

I also have an obsession with campfire sing-alongs, particularly when filled with great American folk songs by the likes of Joni Mitchell and Simon & Garfunkel. I feel lucky to have been privy to quite a few spontaneous, outdoor musical moments in my day and know how important that experience can be in shaping a truly great escape from normal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment